Sunday 22 April 2018

Plastic Perry WOTR Knights

Its not another project honest!

Well maybe kind of. I bought these ages ago and never got around to them. I picked up a sprue of each troop type from Perry plastic Wars of the Roses and European Mercenaries.

Reading the Tom Swan stories by Christian Cameron really got me interested in this period. Tom is an English page captured by the French at the very end of the 100 years war and saved by a Greek Cardinal and ending up travelling the world in numerous adventures. In the latest instalments he has led a Company of mercenaries including men at arms, English longbows, Greek Stradiots and a small group of Bohemian had gunners who acquire a falconet.  I had an idea about building a force based around this I could use in various scenarios. For anyone who has not found Tom Swan yet, I highly recommend the stories. Sold at £0.99 each on Kindle and about the length of 2 book chapters each.

I really enjoyed painting these, very simple being mainly metals but still a bit of work to give it some depth.


Not sure if I have enough definition on the red, I dont want to add another highlight and make it pink but may add an ink wash for some depth. I had an idea of tying the troops together with a red tunic for those who have one.
I used three layers on the metal work. A basic gun metal onto a black primer to start, A heavy dry brush with a brighter steel and then the Silver gel pen to highlight all the edges etc (Uniball Signo). I do like how this one in particular came out.





I have 4 mounted Knights to do next. Some of the guys I game with have suddenly dropped into Italian Wars around 1480-1500 so these are just in scope time wise. I have a worry they will be working towards 100 man pikeblocks or something equally mad, I intend to have less than 100 figures personally so it might not fit with their project. I am thinking along the lines of Lion Rampant rather than Pike and Shotte, for now I am happy just painting these lovely figures.
Just built the mounted Knights so may have an update on those in the coming weeks. Next up will either be a post on my progress with basing snow or the Black Powder Colonial game we just played.

Watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment