Friday 27 October 2017

Another New Project? Elizabethan Ireland

So over the last few weeks I have fluttered about from back burner project to back burner project. Filling time really until Warfare release their Swedish Cavalry. I have lots of projects I would like to do someday, no different to a lot of other gamers I am sure. However this one has just grabbed me and actually may be a bit easier than at first appears.

Elizabethan Ireland was a pretty remote and tough place, the troop types were also very interesting with many of the Irish troops being almost dark age in appearence and tactics but still managing to give the English a good kicking fairly often.

I had been toying with this for a while, more as an extension to the small Border Reivers collections I already have. Some years ago a bunch of us decided a Reiver campaign might be fun with each player having a family or raiders. We collected quite a few figures between us mainly from Graven Images but also from Vendel. Both of these companies also do a limited range of Irish for the period and the Border Horse were drafted and sent to Ireland during this period in some numbers. The pictures are of my current Borders collection.



The plan is to raise a company of troop's for service against the Irish rebels, probably about 40 or 50 should do it . Units of Calivers, Longbows, Halbers/Bills and possibly Pike along with some Border Horse light cavalry and possibly some Demi-lances. Ad a few gentlemen adventurers and there you go.




For the Irish I will want Galloglass with double handed swords and axes, Kern with harquebus or caliver, javelins and double handed weapons and possibly even bows, plus some light cavalry. May or may not include some Irish regular Pike and shot we will see.






I already have 10 Border horse with 2 more to paint, 10 garrison troops 6 or so Gentlemen and a dog boy and hounds so I have a start.






Hoka Hay now carry the Graven Images Irish and Borderer's and as they are at the Leeds show this Sunday I might pick a few up. I have also ordered some Medieval Scots Isle men from Claymore Castings and some Irish Light Horse from Redoubt Enterprises.








I then just need to decide on some rules.......

Pikemans lament look OK, but I might go for my own set, lets see.




More news after the spend fest on Sunday.

13 comments:

  1. Lovely figures, they look superb, and the sheep keeper is unusual and fantastic...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Phil. lets see how things progress

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look splendid. Look forward to seeing more

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neil, working on the last two Border horse right now.

      Delete
  4. Great post and some really nice English troops already. I plan to use my 1540s TAG English for the 1530s Geraldine Rebellion up to Shane O'Neills rebellion in the 1560s. I'm working on the Irish now so will be following your progress with interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to hear Oli, my collection is already more focused towards Elizabeths reign to Tyrones rebellion fits better. I have looked at the TAG figures, a bit early for me for the msot part and also slimmer than the Graven Images and Foundry offerings if every bit as nice.

      Delete
  5. Nice - I've looked at those figs loads of time to buy. Lots of character. Si

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They dont mix too well with other ranges but your right loads of character. Just finished two more I will stick up next along with plans for whats next.

      Delete