Wednesday 3 February 2016

Saxon Dragoons

Apologies for the gap in posts, the basing departments departure for University, work and a forthcoming Russian Civil War game have all conspired to slow my progress on the Great Northern War project.


The Der Goltz Dragoons fought at both Fraustadt and Kliszow before their commander and therefore name changed. The below schematic has them in black faces which is a nice cheat for me given that I prime in black









The photography I am afraid is not the best as I have been unable to get time to photograph them in natural light.



These are the first unit I have done using entirely plastic figures, they are wargames factory and quite nice, if a little slim. I don't think they stand the comparison to metals as well as the foot figures unfortunately but they are still nice.
 


These next two pictures show the depth of the bases quite well which I hope will protect these rather more delicate figures from the fat fingers of my fellow wargamers.


A bit of a close up of the command below the flag is Warfare Miniatures.
 

And a last view from above of the whole unit.


I have a couple more units of Swedes completed now but basing may have to wait.

I also have 6 of my 9 man Polish Valak unit complete so this should not be far off.

I am looking forward to the Vapnartak show at York Race course this weekend, I am meeting Nick from Ebor and picking up 5 battalions of Swedish foot and a pair of guns which is quite exciting. I may do a preview of the figures soon once I have had a good look at them all.

Thanks for reading.

4 comments:

  1. These Saxon dragons are splendid and dynamic, excellent job...and great bases as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks Phil, I am not sure they are as nice as some of the metals on the market but they have come out OK.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Roj. The deeper bases do give a better feel to a cavalry line and less of a formation display team. Good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers Andy, I do like how it works

    ReplyDelete